We all love to redecorate and revamp our houses and workplaces, but one thing we wouldn’t want to stumble across is lead paint within the building. Known as one of the main hazards for paint, lead paint can cause numerous health problems. 

But what exactly is lead paint and where can it be found?

Lead paint is exactly that, a lead-based paint. Originally created and used to accelerate the drying process of paint, lead compounds were added to cause the paint to be more water-resistant, making it perfect to use in homes and even for children’s toys. Using lead in paint also allowed you to produce a wide range of different coloured paints while giving a polished finished appearance.

Commonly used until the 1960s, lead paint was used in homes, schools, and offices. 

But despite the sale of lead paint to the general public being banned within the early 1990s, lead paint can still be found in some older buildings and beneath existing paintwork, which poses as a risk.

But where are you most likely to find lead paint within your building?

Lead paint is commonly found on doors, kitchen and bathroom cupboards, window frames, skirting boards, metal surfaces, exterior walls, and gutters. It may also be found on interior walls and ceilings, and including areas with enamel paint; and as a result of it being used in older buildings, lead paint is known to be found in roofing, older paint, and pipework.

But if lead paint is present in your building, is it harmful?

As lead paint is one of the main hazards for paint due to the exposure to heavy metal, it can be very harmful and cause serious health problems such as kidney, nerve and brain damage or even infertility.

Exposure to lead-based paint usually occurs from ingestion or breathing in lead dust or fumes; although lead-based paint is not considered a hazard if the paint is not flaking, damaged or crushed, it is an issue when the paint starts breaking, and at that point, something needs to be done about it.

When lead paint begins to flake, is damaged, or has been crushed – you need to get the experts in

Depending on the level of exposure to lead paint can determine which health problems it could cause. Low level of exposure can lead to learning difficulties, whereas high levels can cause anaemia, impaired nervous system functions and even lead poisoning.

If left, the exposure of lead paint poses a higher risk for infants, children and pregnant women. This is because children retain more lead in their bodies after absorption in comparison to adults; and in regards to pregnant women, even low levels of lead can affect the development of the baby.

Here at Specialist Blast Cleaning, the nation’s premier blast cleaning service, we are able to use our specialist systems to remove lead paint safely. Using modern equipment and techniques, we have the capabilities to use the appropriate equipment that’s best for the job. 

We are constantly upgrading our machines to make sure we have sufficient appliances for the task in hand, especially where the removal of dangerous materials such as lead paint is concerned.

Although over the years the exposure to lead has decreased, it can still be a present problem. So, being aware of lead sources and potential health risks is vital. If you are concerned please get in touch as soon as possible in order to remove the lead paint from your building safely.